by Leslie Williams
To all the mothers out there
who can't seem to be perfect,
this one's for you.
Whoever said motherhood is easy
has never taken THREE children
UNDER the age of four to a
football game...
or anywhere for that matter.
How is it that a child can
make a mom doubt everything,
especially herself?
I thought I was strong,
only to find out that I am nothing
compared to the venting of a 1 1/2 year old.
I can be made to feel insecure
when other "more experienced" parents
stare at me with derision for ruining their enjoyment of...
ANYTHING!
They look at me as if to say,
"You're a bad mother."
"Control those kids!"
My panic-stricken face twists
into a semblance of a smile
begging them to understand as
my eyes search for compassion, sympathy,
SOMETHING.
I cower when caught
in the stares
begging, in a not so "beggy" tone,
for my children to
stop
come back
let go
sit down
WHATEVER!
Yet it doesn't work.
Therefore, I am left to resort to
the oldest trick that
seems to be shunned by many:
Bribery.
I'm not ashamed to say
that I bribe my kids.
If it works, why not?
When I'm desperate, I'll try anything.
I do not have the patience of Job.
Job didn't have my kids!
I couldn't imagine my life
without them, yet sometimes
I have to tell them to
leave me alone
don't touch me
give me five minutes
not yet
later
in a minute.
If we were perfect, we would not be mothers.
We learn from our mistakes and grow in the process.
Mary, I'm sure, wasn't the perfect mother.
Jesus probably drover her crazy like any child,
which is probably why the Bible
goes from His early years to His adulthood.
If this is what it means to be a bad mother...
then so be it!
No comments:
Post a Comment