Friday, October 26, 2012

I Ran Today

I Ran Today
by Leslie Williams

I ran today after hours of endless housework,
I ran today after answering too many students' questions
I ran today because two friends sought out my help for their running needs
I ran today to get break from it all.

I ran today despite the rain coming down.
I ran today because of the rain...nothing quite like it.
I ran today in the rain and watched the puzzled look of drivers going by.
I ran today guessing the obvious question they had: "Why is she running in the rain?"
I ran today, answering their unasked questions with "why not run in the rain?"

I ran today through fatigued muscles and fear of another injury.
I ran today because today's run gets me ready for tomorrow's.
I ran today because it'll make tomorrow's run a little easier.
I ran today knowing that tomorrow's run might actually be tougher.
I ran today thankful that I can put one foot in front of the other, regardless of pace.

I ran today to get clarity.
I ran today to be like all those others who've come before me.
I ran today for all those who'll come after me.
I ran today not because I had to, but because I had to.

I ran today...

No comments:

Post a Comment